NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 05:00:06 -0400
<< , that there are rare cases of  children whose allergies remain high due
to breast feading (I do take food  with milk proteins, though less since his
milk allergy was discovered).
 I don't want to encourage anybody to stop breast feading, but just want to
 mention that the possibility is there. I am still of the opinion that a
 mother can give her child nothing better than her milk.  >>

My son was diagnosed at 12 months with milk allergy, while breastfeeding (He
had never had milk to drink.)  I decided to eliminate milk & milk protein
products from my diet and his health made a 180 degree turn around.   Because
of the constant ear infections and fluid in his ears for 6 months before, the
former dr. was threatening constant meds and tubes.

I was gratefully able to continue nursing him.  The restraints on my diet
were difficult but minor in comparison  to being able to provide him with a
healthy source of calcium, protein, etc.  I weaned him gradually around 3 and
now at 8 he has only mild intolerances to milk products.

My FIL almost died as an infant due to milk allergies. To this day, milk
still gives him severe reactions.  I have 2 (formula fed)  nephews who had
tubes as infants and another who was switched to soy formula at 6 months to
prevent tubes.  They are all still frequently sick.

I share this to say, a breastfeeding mom can have the option of eliminating
milk products in her own diet rather than discontinuing nursing.  My Dr.
encouraged me to continue as long as possible.

<<<  I have a hard time with this as often the substitutes for milk are soy,
or they have corn or yeast in them, both of which I am also allergic.  Any
ideas, both for nutrition and enjoyment!  Deb>>>

We have found several carriers of Rice Milk.  I don't recall corn being in
them.