From:
Tammy Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 18:21:39 -0400
>At Whole Foods Store today, I bought some ground ostrich (!) for $5.99 per
>pound.

That's no more expensive than salmon and other expensive fish.  :-)

>I also heartily recommend buffalo, my son loves it and thinks it is hamburger.

We eat deer meat that my brother-in-law catches every year.

>He is on a g/f and c/f and yeast free diet.  I would LOVE to try the
>Neanderthin on him, he craves carbos so much that I am very suspicious of them.
>I am wondering if a Neanderthin diet would "cure" autism? What do you guys
>think?

Cure is always a tough sell for me.  However, there is quite a bit of
research in the schizophrenia community showing that they have many EFA
anomalies.  This could indicate that they would benefit from a low
carb/Neanderthin type diet--however, as far as I can tell, most therapies
have been directed toward GLA supplementation or other EFAs.  I do think it
is worth a try.

>My problem is, we went through hell  going g/f and c/f and yeast free. I
>can't for the life of me imagine going carbo free, this is what he lives
>for, his gluten free waffles, his rice bread (gluten free and yeast free).
>HOW DO YOU GUYS DO IT??  Just wondering.

I have not gone completely Neanderthin yet.  What I've been doing with
Pamela is to make sure she eats her meat and fat first.  Then she can have
her veggies and fruit.  Then I make her take her supplements and drink a
small cup of water.  If she's still hungry, she gets her carbs.

>We had huge success from going gluten free, but there is still something
>major wrong, he talks to himself, has panic attacks and so forth. But the
>autistic stims are better.

I have noticed a couple of leaps in academics and language since we have
limited her carbs.  BUT, it could be part of her normal progression (she
tends to take leaps, then plateau, leaps then plateau) so I'll have to wait
and see.  If things continue to move forward at a faster rate for her, then
I may go completely Neanderthin with her.

Tammy G.

"A parent's love perceives no limitations."