From:
Molly NiDana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:39:21 +0800
> I can't emphasize enough that if a person is troubled by caries or
> periodontal disease, if the plaque is properly removed every day, the
> degeneration of the person's dentition will stop.

Paul, I'm sure you're a good dentist, and certainly what you say is
consistent with what I have been hearing all my life, but I question
whether you understand that there might be perfectly valid reasons
for a person not doing this?  In my case, I have an extremely small
mouth (numerous dentists have complained about this, as if it's my
fault!) and it is physically difficult for me to do the plaque
removal you talk about due to shoulder problems and the crowded
conditions in my mouth. Then, if I go into the dentist for more
regular cleaning, the hygienist often (I'm 45 years old and have been
to tons of different dentists since I was a child) will complain and
fuss at me the entire time, making the experience so unpleasant that
next time, more rather than less months pass before I work up the
energy to face it again.  I need to find other solutions.

I do find much less tartar and plaque in my mouth since I've been
low-carbing, and my gum problems have diminished considerably with no
change in my dental hygiene.

Molly NiDana