From:
Molly NiDana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:38:46 +0800
I think the discussion below relates to the Neanderthin concept of
only eating things you could eat in the wild. So what do people
think? Are domesticated almonds (of which I normally consume large
quantities) of a different category than wild? Are our bodies set up
to recognize those proteins, or are we setting ourselves up?  I do
have to limit my consumption when I want to lose weight, so I would
say it's not at all clear...

Molly NiDana

> On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, JoAnn Betten wrote:
> > i avoid almonds since i read this:
> > "But not even ardent nut lovers eat wild almonds, of which a few dozen
> > contain enough cyanide (the poison used in Nazi gas chambers) to kill
> > us....Almonds provide a striking example of bitter seeds and their change
> > under domestication.  Most wild almond seeds contain an intensely bitter
> > chemical called amygdalin, which breaks down to yield the poison cyanide.  A
> > snack of wild almonds can kill a person foolish enough to ignore the warning
> > of bitter taste."
<snip>