CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dave Hartley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:46:41 -0000
Date:   Wed, 29 Oct 1997 01:54:53 -0500 (EST)
From:   Jon Beasley-Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:        SPOON-ANN: CFP: "Globalization from Below" (11/1; 2/5-8/98)

Last call: please post and forward...
"Globalization From Below:
Contingency, Conflict, Contestation in Historical Perspective"
an international conference at Duke University, Durham, NC
February 5th-8th, 1998
Last call for papers: abstracts due November 1st 1997
Confirmed keynote speakers include Mary Louise Pratt
If globalization is such a multivocal and complex process, constituted by numerous axes of domination and innovation, why have its analyses tended to be so singleminded and monolingual?

We invite papers on topics such as the following:
* globalization in historical context
* "disorganized" labor and "disorganized" capital
* from slavery to emancipation
* the politics of the family and the post-welfare state
* forced labor, wage labor, affective labor, immaterial labor * the black Atlantic, the cosmic race: hybridities and traditions  * struggle and revolution * gendering the global economy  * capital flight as response to labor movement(s)
* identity, ethnicity, and culture in flux
* internationalism and post-nationalism
* technology and resistance: the internet protest and organization  * women and global networks
* the environment and environmentalism * development and its discontents * labor history: workers and workers' movements in a global market * national responses to increasing capital mobility
* prostitution in migrant economies * contesting the old/new world order
* intellectual property, the privatization of information, and free trade
* the autonomy of capitalist command; the anatomy of new social movements
* the "postwork" society, from unemployment to pensions
* place, space and globalization * gender, race, labor & imperialism  * the Atlantic economy in the age of revolutions
* from the plantation to las maquiladoras
* Domestic work and international migration
* wages for housework: the price of reproduction
* communication networks: spreading subversion, disseminating ideology * peripheral modernities and the third world in the developed heartland * the welfare state in a global society
* the country and the city: urbanizations and nationalisms
* reactive capital, working class autonomy

Please send one-page abstracts by November 1st 1997 to:
Jon Beasley-Murray, Vince Brown, or Paul Husbands
"Globalization from Below" conference
Center for International Studies
Box 90404
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0404

fax. (919) 684-8749
tel. (919) 286 3526

email [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
conference webpage: http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/global/
Sponsored by the graduate seminar in Interdisciplinary Studies with funding from the Ford Foundation, the Trent Foundation, and Duke University's Center for International Studies.
All (graduate and faculty and other) submissions welcome.

-----
Further information:
"Globalization From Below: Contingency, Conflict, Contestation in
Historical  Perspective"
This conference is concerned with "globalization" as a dynamic, contested and often contingent process.  Rather than concentrating upon the huge, apparently irresistible structures that have shaped our world in the last 500 years we will look rather at how different people and groups in specific situations and places have struggled to come to terms with, and often conduct resistance against, the developing global system.
Globalization is all too often defined in strictly economistic terms, but by drawing attention to the negotiations that have constituted globalization at the local level we hope to understand it in more complex and nuanced ways.  In so doing we hope to re-conceptualize globalization as a process that is and has been more open-ended and full of possibilities than is generally recognized.
Is there a fixed direction inherent in globalization?  Or have global processes sometimes historically resulted from ad hoc responses to specific conditions and local resistances-both organized and disorganized?  How have temporary stratagems come to seem-or come to be-such overwhelming forces?
The current wave of globalization has transformed the composition of the various forces and groups that make up the global system-allowing perhaps new social movements or multinational conglomerates to come to the fore.  Thus traditional alliances are restructured and historic antagonisms dissipated or rekindled.  We propose a historically informed investigation into the balance of power and states of struggle that result.

* End of forwarded message
* Jeff --  <[log in to unmask]>

Well Now(sm) Health Information & Ferret Corps(sm) Services have no fees, but they're not "free".  We ask that each pay according to the value of what s/he receives, based on what s/he feels s/he truly can afford. In this way we need never turn anyone away, and folks who can pay more may know they have helped their neighbors who can pay just a little.