CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dave Hartley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 12:57:13 -1000
> USDA Prepares for an "Unfriendly Takeover" of the Natural Foods Industry
>>
>> July 9, 1997
>>
>> by: Ben Lilliston, Sustain: The Environmental Education Group (Chicago,
>> Illinois)
>>      Ronnie Cummins, Pure Food Campaign  (Little Marais, Minnesota)
>>
>> The Oxford American dictionary describes the word organic as "of or formed
>> from living things." Consumers generally define organic foods as those
>> produced naturally, without the use of toxic chemicals, drugs, or factory
>> farm techniques. But how the dictionary, organic farmers, or millions of
>> American consumers define "organic" will soon become a moot point. That is
>> because the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) will soon be
>> defining in legally binding terms exactly what "organic" means. And not in
>> a pithy phrase, but rather in what is expected to be a 600 page document in
>> the Federal Register-and given the history of the USDA, many are worried
>> about the impact of these new federal regulations on the natural foods
>> industry.
>>
>> "This is the institutionalizing of the word 'organic' by the government,
>> and we should pay close attention," says Michael Sligh, Director of the
>> Sustainable Agriculture Program at the Rural Advancement Foundation
>> International (RAFI). Sligh is the former chairman of the National Organics
>> Standards Board (NOSB), an official advisory committee established by
>> Congress in 1990 through the Organic Food Production Act to make
>> recommendations to the USDA on organic standards and labeling practices.
>>
>> Despite precise recommendations from the NOSB to maintain strict organic
>> standards-policies basically in harmony with those advocated by IFOAM,
>> the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements, and the
>> European Parliament-USDA officials have delayed as long as possible in
>> announcing federal regulations on organics. But now final rules are
>> expected to be published later this summer or fall, and will likely send
>> shockwaves throughout the natural food community. According to several
>> inside sources in Washington who have seen the proposed rules, the USDA not
>> only intends to disregard the NOSB's explicit ban on genetically engineered
>> food and intensive confinement of farm animals, but will actually make it
>> illegal for regional or non-governmental organic certification bodies to
>> uphold organic standards stricter than U.S. government standards. And of
>> course if the USDA gets away with this in the United States, their eventual
>> strategy will be to use the legal hammer of the GATT World Trade
>> Organization (WTO) to force European and other nations to lower their
>> organic standards as well.
>>
>> "I know for a fact that one of the internal hold-ups is genetic
>> engineering," says Katherine Di Matteo, head of the National Organics Trade
>> Association, "Some people in USDA are unhappy."

> [...]

Aloha,   Dave.          Think for Yourself.             Question Authority

"Computer Dave" Hartley   (808) 879-7997  VP Suntronix Computer Telephony
email:  [log in to unmask] website (work in progress) www.computerDave.com
Interests: Computer/Telephony Integration, Windows NT, Web Publishing,
~~  Alternative Medicine  ~~   www.Eckankar.org   ~~  www.healing-tao.com