CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dave Hartley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 05:02:38 -0000
Hello Komboa, All !

I am sorry that you seem to misunderstand me.

I am plainly and simply against racism perpetrated by either black, white, red, brown, or yellow men or women.

I do not feel that hatred of any man for any other man based upon either man's skin color should be encouraged or inflamed or used to political advantage.

By anyone.

Arguments about social injustice and what parts of it may or may not be based upon race travel up and down the timeline history of humanity, and cannot be reasonably applied without looking at the recent historical events in the broader context of all of human history so that the true meanings of the lessons of the past may be read.

There is no injustice that can be cured by warring and hatred, only more injustice can be obtained in this manner, and the tarring and feathering of the race of WHITEMAN in the name of black (or other) social justice WILL NOT lead to justice, but only to more hatred. What is so difficult? First tolerance, then maybe love your neighbor.
Do you see yourself as a warrior who is justified in using any means to achieve his goal?
Then I submit to you that as a wise general you would choose the strategy that, when travelling through unknown territory toward your objective, do not alienate and verbally / emotionally attack every white man you pass by.......

By preaching hatred you create your own enemy. I am not your enemy. Yet by painting me with the WHITEMAN brush, and practicing hateful rhetoric upon WHITEMAN, you make me appear to be your enemy. To say nothing of the LESS sympathetic more "mainstream" white person's feelings upon hearing your rhetoric.
Racism as a personal feeling or an overt act is not subjective or difficult to see.

Oppression based upon race or class (which often appear to be nearly the same) should be ended. Society should be radically changed. Current political structures are apparently beyond redemption.

You compare me to "conservatives" yet in my personal philosophy I am in some ways more radical than even perhaps, you............. yet I stand radically opposed to your use of racially charged rhetoric in your support of your cause. If this cause is truly anti-racist it must not stoop to the use of racist and racially inflammatory jargon in it's attempts to counteract the institutionalized blend of racism / class oppression that corporations and governments are increasingly applying to all men, not just to black men. I agree very strongly that all attempts to disenfranchise, murder, or steal land from any person or group of people should be opposed by all men of conscience.

I just believe that warriors in the cause of justice must act in just ways, and take care that they do not find themselves inadvertently contributing to the problems they wish to cure.

Aloha,   Dave.          Think for Yourself.             Question Authority
~               Globalize Consciousness         Localize Economies
"Computer Dave" Hartley   (808) 879-7997 email:  [log in to unmask]
Interests: Computer/Telephony Integration, Windows NT, Web Publishing,
~~  Alternative Medicine  ~~   www.Eckankar.org   ~~  www.healing-tao.com