CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MichaelP <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 07:05:11 -0700
Please leave out appeals to God from your stated desire to not have
racist guilt placed on your shoulders. Such references offend me - you
may commune with YOUR personal deity all you wish but I don't wish to
hear such communications, promises, contracts as justification for your
attempt to improve things.

  So while guilt may not be a useful concept to apply to cure the results
of past actions by the powerful whites against the weaker minority
groups, there no way for you to categorize as racist the process of
persuading whites to accept their responsibility and complicity in both
past and present actions of discrimination based on race. As long as you
are genuine in wishing to cure or at least mitigate the situation
please leave
out the complaints when folks try to tell you what they think.

MichaelP

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Dave Hartley wrote: > Guilt? I wash my hands of it.
It is counterproductive. I accept no racist concept of my guilt as a white
man. I categorically deny any such guilt and further clearly state that it
is RACIST to attempt to apply this guilt to me based upon the color of my
 skin.<