From:
Lyall Einhorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 21:02:28 -0600

Just an informational note to the group.

Last week we took our daughter to the Alberta Children's Hospital in
Calgary, Alberta.  This was part of a diabetic clinic in which we
visited a GI doctor by the name of Dr. Butzner.  He indicated that their
hospital had undertaken a study to find the incidence of celiac disease
in Type I diabetic children.  My numbers here are not exact but these
can be gotten from the Doc.  Out of about 475 diabetic chidren in their
clinical area, approx. 290 parents allowed their children to take a
blood test.  From the tests I believe it was 19 children tested positive
for Celiac Disease.  Out of those 19, 17 were asymptomatic.  Again these
are not exact!!  There results are showing the same as some adult
studies in England and Finland.
Currently they are exploring the effects of oats on the the celiac diet.