From:
Lyall Einhorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 23:38:12 -0600

After reading several do's and don'ts I have decided to share a don't.
We have a daughter who was diagnosed as diabetic at 16 months. (1987) In
1989 she showed the classic sympotoms of Celiac Disease however we
didn't know it at the time and our diabetic clinic doctor didn't
recognize it.  In 1990 we move and began seeing another doctor.  The
very 1st visit he diagnosed CD.  We did the stool test, (positive) then
followed up some blood work (positive).  We switch to a GF diet and she
bacame a new kid at age 5.  HOWEVER, we kept hearing that we have to
have a biopsy!  My wife and I were both reluctant right up until time
for the procedure.  We were told   'routine' 'routine'.  So routine that
you can come in and watch the procedure in the room.
Great!  They apply codine, promethazine, then demeral (I'll leave it to
the doctors to explain why each) and then  RESPIRATORY ARREST  CODE
BLUE!  3 Minutes later the hospital swat team revived her.  All of this
while I held her and watched her turn blue.
By they way I was stupid enough to let them proceed with the procedure.
I was asked to help pin her down to insert the instruments down her
throat.  They were scared to administer any more drugs.
A lot of people told us about the 1 in a million after this.  Do you or
would you want to be that 1 in a million?
Anger turned to thanks, turned to tears after that event.  We even had
the doctor talk about doing this again later to determine tolerance.
Fat chance!  We now have a daughter who is diabetic, celiac and has a
medic alert bracelet that warns about demeral, promethazine and codine,
and a hospital that covers the incident up.
Necessary definative test?