From:
Sharon M <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 00:55:08 -0400

I've been following this list for some time as I've suspected a wheat or
gluten intolerance, though I do not have classic celiac symptoms. I put
myself on a gluten free diet, to the best of my understanding, last
thurs. By this Weds I had a day with more energy, and just general
well-being than I've experienced in some years (I also have a fairly
mild case of fibromyalgia). Yesterday and today (Fri) I went downhill,
translation: listless, apathetic, low-energy, depression. I suddenly
thought of checking the labels of the organic supplements I've taken for
about 12 years. Some of them, the ones I took yesterday and today, have
wheat germ and wheat germ oil, and some oat bran. I was practically
giddy with excitement over feeling that at last I've discovered "The
Cause". One hour later my bloodwork was faxed over to me. The three
tests that I picked up off the various web sites and this list were 100%
normal. As Bobbi wrote (below), there are false negatives and some other
tests. Can anyone enlighten me further? That is, should I even consider
wheat/gluten as a possible problem or just forget it. Short of a biopsy,
and I really don't think there's celiac disease present here, what else
can be tested? I'm following this further because of the connection to
fibromyalgia, my family history of alcoholism (and my own recovery from
same), my seeming ADD (not prof. diagnosed), and a lifetime of
constipation until I discovered fiber some years ago, and some general
G.I. rumblings and a intermittent spastic colon. Sorry this is so long,
feeling a little desperate.

Sharon/starshar