From:
Grant Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 14:07:37 -0700
Our Kids Diet --> Type II Diabetes

Type II is on the increase among overweight children.

(from the July issue of the journal Pediatrics)

Researchers followed 50 children with Type II and compared
them with 50 children with Type I.

Almost all of the Type II's were obese, and more than
30 percent of them had high blood pressure.

Type II's = 74 percent were black and 24 percent white.

Type I's = 18 percent were black and 82 percent white.

"The study indicates that many American children eat too
much and are overweight, said Dr. Gerald Bernstein, director
of the Harold Rifkin Diabetes Center in New York and
president-elect of the American Diabetes Association."

"What this opens the door to is, one, we have to undergo
a major cultural adjustment to food and exercise,"
Bernstein said. "Two, routine screening in pediatric offices
should be incorporated into the care of children who are
high risk."

(note: not the same Bernstein as Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution")