From:
Grant Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 12:30:53 -0700
A couple of days after starting to eat more nuts my wife's hip bursitis
has flared up again real bad almost immobilizing her.

We are just guessing at any connection whatsoever with nuts, but was
wondering if there was one? We suspect it may have happened before when
she ate too many.

The nuts involved were a mixture of a trail type mix including a few
seeds, a little dried fruit but mostly almonds, brazils, hazelnuts,
pecans -- there were a few peanuts & cashews but not many.  About half
the mixture we made up was of salted and roasted nuts, the other half
raw, we bought a variety of things and mixed them in a big bowl.

We haven't been eating too many nuts lately because we haven't been able
to get down to the big city to buy fresh in the shell or raw nuts at a
reasonable price so got what we could expensively locally.

The reason we don't have nuts often is that we both tend to over eat
them, one leads to the other kind of thing.

When "will power" was given out with regards to nuts, we were on
vacation :(

A craving for nuts is said to exist because of:
- need and/or desire for salt
- need for more dietary protein and/or fat
- need for B Vitamins

The little "Vitamin Bible" suggests people who are under stress tend to
eat more nuts than relaxed individuals.

But we can't find any link between Bursitis & Nuts (or byproducts of
roasting & salting the nuts, seeds and dried fruit) but there seems to
be some "trigger" in my wife's case?