From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 12:37:34 -0400
On Fri, 16 May 1997, John C. Pavao wrote:
[re: salami instead of pemmican]
> Probably has alot of sodium nitrate, etc., in it.  I know I was looking for
> the best hot dogs (gotta have something that's convenient once in awhile),
> and found that even the kosher ones were full of milk and sodium younameit.

Well, this morning I went to a butcher at a farmers' market.  I
asked him what sort of salami would be basically just meat, with
no added starches and preservatives.  He took me down to the
"low-tech" end of the counter, to the homemade stuff.  He invited
me to try some homemade German hard salami.  On the outside, the
stuff was almost black; inside, a deep purplish red flecked with
white.  He warned me that I probably wouldn't like it, since it
is "stronger" than most commercial kinds of salami, and then
offered me a slice.

It was *wonderful*.  Rich, smoky, meaty -- I ordered a pound on
the spot, for about six dollars.  Then, since I was there, I
bought some "Landjaeger" dried sausages, which were just sitting
in a basket on the counter top.  Also homemade: no labels,
nutritional information, packaging.  A bit pricey at a dollar
apiece.  But delicious.  The bargain of the day was homemade
turkey jerkey, at 3 for $1.00.  These are (I'm eating one now)
about the size of Slim Jims: roughly six inches long and a half
inch in diameter.  The flavor is mild but pretty satisfying.

Definitely worth the trip.

Todd Moody