Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 02:19:34 -0400
On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Molly NiDana wrote:

> In fact, I had a strange experience just the other day - my youngest
> brother *said* he understood my eating plan, but then he served me
> Chinese food with sauces thickened with cornstarch and flour.  I
> actually had my throat close up and I started choking after about 10
> minutes. It was awful, and clearly an allergic reaction, as this is
> what used to happen when I would get a bee sting. Fortunately I
> survived it ok, but I'm not taking any more chances.
>
> I had thought that this was a voluntary plan, just for weight loss,
> and health stabilization, and that I could "cheat" as much as I
> wanted, but our bodies are much more survival oriented than we think!

Molly,

Just wanted to jump in here with my observations...this confirms very well
what Ray says about Neanderthin...your body does react violently to the
"old stuff" once you get away from it.

I have noticed myself naturally evolving away from some things, in a very
gradual manner.  When I first started low carb with Atkins in February, I
was eating lots of cheese, cream cheese, sugar free jello, spiced luncheon
meats and so on.  At that time, it was good and possibly necessary for me,
in order to get away from sugar and carbs and not feel deprived.

In April, I bought Neanderthin, talked to Ray Audette on the phone, and
started the paleo diet.  I felt at the time that for me, Atkins still had
too many things that didn't agree with my body. Since then, with a few
slips when I longed for something sweet, I've done paleo.  In doing so,
I've discovered that in the easiest, most natural manner, I've gotten away
from intensely salted and flavored foods; anthing prepackaged doesn't
taste good, I use no condiments at all save salad dressing, and today, my
son, who is a vegetarian, made a stir fry with veggies from our garden,
and I was suprised to discover how very sweet the onions tasted to me.

I now season meat after cooking, and sometimes add nothing but garlic and
onion powder, and very little salt.  Meat is getting more and more rare
when I cook it, and dried jerky tastes good unseasoned, too.

What is wonderful, to me, is I'm not pushing or forcing any of these
changes, they're just happening, and my brain is as clear as a bell.

Gotta love it!

Jackie