From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 20:42:55 -0700
Iron deficiency has very severe consequences for humans.  These lead to
developmental failure in children and ill health for adults.  Because of
a digestive system unique to humans among Primates (ie very short large
gut) we depend on red meat for most of our iron requirements and absorb
iron from vegetables very poorly.

Because humans are a wide ranging species, contigencies must be built
into our DNA to allow for conditions where red meat availability is
limited or blood loss is common (ie leech infested areas).  These people
would thrive and become an increasingly large part of the population
within a relatively few generations in a geographicly isolated area.
They would be able to absorb iron more efficiently from vegetables or
even from elemental iron found in dust and soil.

These people when exposed to iron enriched products and high levels of
red meat consumption coupled with the high enviromental levels of
elemental iron found in industrial areas may experience problems.  As a
boy I was amazed by how much iron powder could be gleamed from the dirt
in my backyard using only a magnet (I had jars full).  If this was lead,
the E.P.A. would have come to haul the lawn away!  Does this enviromental
level of iron contribute to this condition?

Cutting back on red meat and blood letting don't sound too bad and may be
of interest to the vampires on this list. Those who fear for their
immortal souls may opt for leeches instead!

Ray Audette