PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Crayhon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 07:26:51 -0400
As a clinical nutritionist/author/Ph.D. candidate who has been a fish eating
vegetarian for 11 years, I have gone back to meat these past two months and
have eliminated grains.  I eat meat at each meal, and my physique is much
leaner.  I have more muscle without any extra exercise, and I have much
better muscle definition.  No supplement changes--just a more Paleo diet,
with 4-6 ounces of animal protein 3 times per day.

Regarding saturated fats, there is a lot of argument as to whether they are
"good" or "bad."  I think that there is bit too much saturated fat phobia,
even among people I have the highest respect for.  People can point to
studies showing that more saturated fats are linked to more heart disease,
but I think you cannot separate saturated fats downside from omega 3 fatty
acid deficiency.  A low fat diet with no EFAs will cause heart disease, and a
high saturated fat diet with plenty of omega 3s will keep arteries clear
(Eskimos).  I wish we could see fats as a symphonic event, and not say oboes
are good, timpani drums are bad, etc.  And the advantage of saturates over
too many omega 6s is that saturated do not compete with omega 3s for
elongation.  Saturates alone increased may worsed insulin problems, but
combined with omega 3s may help insulin metabolism.  See the excellent review
article "Dietary Fats, Membrane Phospholipids and Obesity," Pan P et al,
Journal of Nutrition 124: 1555-1565, 1994.  As I tell my clients, we are more
often killed by what we fail to eat than by what we eat.

Love Paleodiet--thanks Dean.  Great to be part of this forum with all these
wonderful contributors.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness"

-- Santayana

Cheers--

Robert Crayhon, MS