Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 23:17:29 -0400

hi Everyone!

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded with my question on cream of
rice cereal.  Here is a brief summary of those replies:

Lundberg Farms was generally agreed to be gluten free since all Lundberg
produces is rice.

Arrowhead Mills was THOUGHT o be gluten free, although no one at the company
could say for sure.

The best suggestion that I had was to make my OWN cream of rice cereal.  I
tried it and it WORKS and is MUCH CHEAPER than the stsore brands (not to
mention GUARANTEED gluten free!)

What you do is:  Buy some bulk brown or white rice.  Put several cups (dry)
in your blender and chop until it is basically powder.  Cook as you would any
cream of rice cereal.  The original poster suggested that you can do this
with a pound or two, and freeze it in ziplock bags for later use.  One other
poster tried this suggestion and found it to work well.  I myself tried it
with brown basmati rice.  using basmati gave the cereal a nutty, rich flavor
that plain old brown rice cereal did not have.  It was not quite as creamy as
the store brands, but at $0.75/pound (versus $4.00 for 12 oz of lundberg
farms) this is worth it!!!

Again, thanks everyone!!!  I'd be curious to hear how others find this
sugegstion...

Greg