From:
ABIGAIL NEUMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 12:26:07 -0500

Hi.  I checked the archives on Neutrogena Lip Moisturizer because I have
been having a problem with it.  Unfortunately, it is one of the least
offending lip products I have been able to find.  The archives noted that
back in 1995 the manufacturer stated that it was gluten free.  I called
them today to see if they were still gluten free.  They did not really
address my question unfortunately.  They said it was probably corn oil or
the octyl methoxycinnamate or the benzophenone-3 which were
bothering me.  I had stopped using the product for two days.  Found the
reference on the archives today.  Used the product today and low and
behold my nose immediately began to run, I got my congestive cough
within 5 minutes and my ankles began to itch.  Interestly enough, I asked
them to fax me a list of the ingredients and I was suspicious of Stearyl
Alcohol.  I found it on a list of allergies on the net that can cause lower
leg rashes.  Interesting.  But my real question is were does this alcohol
really come from?  Could it have gluten in it?  Does it come from a gluten
source?  Why did the mfgr not clearly state the product is gluten free.
Listed below are the ingredients for this product.  If anyone has the time
and energy to investigate this, I would greatly appreciate it.  I do wonder
how many products we use contain Stearyl Alcohol.  The net site I found
it on listed it as a common ingredient in cosmetics and over the counter
medications and creams.

Neutrogena Lip Moisturizer SPF 15:

Castor Oil - an emollient
Corn Oil - an emollient
Ozokerite - a binder (source???)
Petrolatum - an emollient
Beeswax - a binder
Octyl Palmitate - an emollient
Paraffin - an emollient (source???)
Stearyl Alcohol - an emollient (source? could it ge a grain?)
Carnauba - a binder (comes from a tree)
BHT - anitoxidant (which I have read is a safe additive for celiacs)
Octyl Methoxycinnamate - a sunscreen agent
Benzophenone-3 - a sunscreen agent

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.  I only use my work computer
and barely have time to do the research I have.  Thanks.  Abigail Neuman