NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 20:41:19 -0600
>The youngest turned
>1 on Jan 1, and we started her on whole milk.  She kept it down, but
>after two weeks she started getting dry skin/eczema on her lower legs,
>and it started working its way up her body.  We had skin tests done,
>but they showed no allergies.  We took her off the milk and after two
>weeks her skin cleared up.  The next time we tried milk, she kept it
>down but brought it back up after half an hour. With my son the reaction
>to milk is immediate, I'm not familiar with a delayed reaction. Does
>this sound like an allergy developing? Has anybody experienced this?

Our son also had no milk till age 1 (and then only one drop), although we
knew he was allergic because if he got it on him he got hives in that area.

Yes, delayed reactions can definitely be allergies and our son reacts that
way.  Also, if you keep exposing the child to the substance the reaction
can get more dramatic.  We have had our son off milk his whole life (he's
now 5 1/2) and when there is an accident his reaction is very mild compare
to when he was a baby.

Rachele Shaw