From:
Tom Bialke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 11:59:34 EST5EDT

Sorry for this long post, but ....

To all those that commented on my original post on where to get rice
bran in NE Ohio, I say thank you. But so far, regularity on the GF
diet has not been a probelm.

I have not been diagnosed by a physician as having CD.  I
decided that since there does not seem to be any medical treatment
for CD, the only "cure" is to avoid gluten, I might as well conduct a
little experiment on myself. I decided to go on a GF diet. Since I
have been on the diet, about 12 days, I have noticed some subtle and
not no so subtle changes in my digestive system and "feelings."  I
used to have much gas and blotting. After only a few days, even my
dog likes to be around me.  I seem to have more energy. I do not get
tired in the afternoons, and take less naps.  My  thinking seems
clearer. And I have lost three pounds.

In about a week or so, I am going to do the gluten challenge.  Pass
out the nose plugs, stock up on TP, laxatives  and  eat a couple of
warm, crusty bagels from a shop where I did not even have to order,
the clerks knew what I wanted.  If I react, I will presume that I
have CD and will conduct my dietary habits accordingly.

The Diet.

I loved bread, bagels, pasta, mirobrewery beers,  gravies, cereals,
etc.  Wow, finding enjoyable substitutes is difficult, if not
impossible. Here is what I have discovered.

Rice cakes, make a palatable snack and carrier for cream cheese. A
couple of rice cakes with cream cheese on the top makes for a quick
breakfast or snack.  They come in may flavors.

Grits, white or yellow make a hot hearty breakfast or complement to
lunch or dinner. I add Tone Garlic Pepper when I cook them. I made
Polenta this weekend and plan to use it as a pasta substitute in my
Italian recipes. I have also found that Oriental Rice Sticks make a
decent substitute for pasta. I bought some rice pasta the other day
but have not tried it yet.

Sunday I made up my own gluten free flour
based upon a recipe I found in the archives. Have not used it yet.
Anybody have any tips for using it?

I found some Spanish Peaks Pear Cider,  not bad,  it
will make a decent alcoholic beverage on those hot summer days that I
hope will be here soon. Also will be trying some of the hard apple
ciders I have been seeing in the stores lately.

A good thing about this diet, is that I have been eating less
carbohydrates, probably explains my weight loss, and more salads.

I have been taking allergy shots for dust mites, molds,
grasses, etc, for years. I am curious to see how my allergies will
respond to this diet. I am also on anti-depressants, I am hoping that
this too will respond favorably to my change in diet.

With out the Internet and access to this list or the various sites
that contain information on CD, I would not have ever thought that
eating wheat gluten would have such an impact upon my health.

My thanks to all.

TomB

Tom Bialke