Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 10:14:08 +0200

Hi all. Please forgive me for being so dense. I have been on this list
for 9 months and maybe should know better (or I missed something big
here).

I don't understand something:
If a celiac follows the diet, his G/I tract has returned to "normal"
and his blood work-up is the way it should be, I understood that he
would live a normal lifespan and function in a normal capacity, like
anyone else, without CD.

I ask this question because of the recent post of Bill Elkus entitled
"Horvath on CD and Neurological Manifestations". It seems to me that a
celiac following the diet for a time long enough for him to recover
intestinal damage, etc. "should" not be suffering from neurological
problems, unless there were other factors involved.

Am I to understand that my celiac son who has been doing great on the
diet can still suffer from neurological problems, to say nothing of
possible osteoporosis (in the future)? Can someone enlighten me?

Again, sorry for asking a question that you all probably understand by
now. I just thought that the diet was the sure "cure" for this problem.

Thanks,

Sharon Marcus