From:
"John E. Cornell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 10:23:20 EDT

My little celiacs (almost 4 and almost 2) want to be "big" and part of
that involves having what the other, bigger kids have, which is a bit of
a challenge, for those who wish to keep GF.

Reply back on 7-11 Slurpee status.

(for those of you outside of the US, 7-11 is a chain of convenience
stores, and a slurpee is a slush drink, chopped ice and flavorings -
served with an oversized straw with a little spoon on the end).

The 1-800 customer service line confirmed that they (the slurpees) were
gluten free (although from what my wife said of the phone call, I
wouldn't bet the ranch on that) and a helpful reply from the list noted
that the sleeve which holds the refill for the slurpee chilling machine
has a complete print-out of ingredients, so if you are at all ingredient
savvy, you have half a chance of finding out the true GF status - now if
you can just find a 7-11 employee who will go back to the storage room to
fetch the refill sleeve!

Our experience, as well as that of about 6 who replied from the list, was
that kids seemed to be able to tolerate the ingredients with nothing
worse than a sugar buzz (our wheat-eating daughter admits to the
relationship between sugar and bad behavior, so she promises that she
will a) take a small portion and b) try real hard to be good afterwards).

||  John E. Cornell - Rockville, Maryland  ||