NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 21:57:02 -0500
Treasure Tomal wrote:

> Hi, I have had a few questions about some of the dairy free food I buy my
> son.

What was your question?  If he is dairy allergic you should probably not be
giving him either the pizza or the american slices or other cheese
substitutes.  The reason?  They are probably made with casein, a dairy
protein.  If he is lactose intolerant (can't digest it well) then these
substitutions should be fine.

I was recently given an empty package from a product called SoySingles from
Soymage.  It is marked casein free and has a OU pareve heksher!
Unfortunatly, none of my area health food stores currently carry it, but I'm
out in the boonies.  Perhaps you can find it and tell me how it tastes?

The White Wave Yogurt is a good product, but watch for the parve markings on
the side.  Recently they had them blackened out because of having their dairy
free culture die and needing to use a dairy culture for a short time.  Always
read every label, even on products you have been buying for years.  :-(

--
Kathy Wentz                        unschooler, n. one who never swims
[log in to unmask]                   with the crowd