NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joanne Slotterback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:50:59 EDT
Thanks to Don for all his helpful articles about canker sores and also
the relation to celiac. Don suggested having my daughter tested for
celiac.

Jamie has had 2 endoscopies (Sept. & Oct.) --both with biopsies of the
esophagus, stomach, and duodenum. At that time she had a totally
unrestricted diet. The doctors were searching for the cause of her
severe stomach pain and nausea. The duodenum biopsies were both normal.
Our pediatric gastroenterologist told us she does not have a
malabsorption problem because there has been no weight loss and she has
not experienced any diarrhea. Am I correct in assuming that celiac and a
gluten sensitivity are ruled out by the results of those biopsies?

She has been on a milk-free diet since the middle of January and a
soy-free diet since the end of February. Over the last two months her
mouth ulcers have virtually been eliminated (just one appeared the other
day). Her other symptoms are absent unless an offending item slips by
us. Am I safe to assume the canker sores were being caused by the milk
and/or soy? Her diet definitely includes gluten.

Thanks.
Joanne in NJ