From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:04:32 EDT

Kerreva wrote:

> ...last night i wasn't able to keep my dinner down.  All I had was
> plain chicken and some rice and veggies with VH Soya Sauce.

Because so many celiacs react to accidental gluten ingestion, there is a
tendency to assume that any stomach upset must have been due to gluten.
I'm not picking on Kerreva, there have been many similar posts in the
past.  I think it is important to remember that non-celiacs also get
stomachaches and are sometimes unable to keep their dinners down too.
So in this case, the problem could be any of the following:

   1. Something had gluten in it.
   2. Something was tainted.  For example, if the chicken could have
      unknowingly been left at room temperature for too long.
   3. An intestinal viral infection might coincidentally have reached
      its peak at the time of the upset.
   4. Some people have trouble keeping food down when they are upset or
      under stress.
   5. Many celiacs have other sensitivities.  This could have been a
      reaction to something other than gluten.

Of course, it is still a good idea to check back on what you've eaten
and see if anything might be suspect, as Kerreva is doing.  But if you
find a *questionable* source don't jump to the conclusion that it
contains gluten for sure, unless you've repeatedly had problems with it.
Even then, it could be some other sensitivity and not gluten, which
means it wouldn't affect other celiacs.

> these are the ingreedients in the Soya Sauce:
>
> water
> hydrolyzed soya protein
> salt
> caramel colour (sodium sulfite)
> glucose solides
> less than 1/10 of 1% of sodium benzoate

Of these, the only one that looks questionable to me is caramel colour.
According to Dorothy Vaughan, our group's dietitian advisor, caramel
coloring is made by browning a flour or sugar to make it dark.  You need
to know the source of that flour to know if it is GF or not.  But often
caramel coloring is GF.  For example, the caramel coloring using in
Pepsi and Coca-cola carbonated beverages is GF, according to previous
posts to the list.

> What made me so sick?  I know that HPP and HVP are on forbidden lists
> but what about HSP?

Hydrolyzed soya protein (HSP) comes from soy beans and should therefore
be GF.  (Many celiacs have an additional sensitivity to soy beans,
however.)

HPP and HVP are NOT automatically forbidden; it all depends on the
source.  If they are derived from a non-gluten source, then they should
be okay.  But if you don't know the source, or if it is a gluten source,
then you should avoid them.

--
-- Jim Lyles ................... Home: [log in to unmask]
-- Holly, Michigan, USA ........ Work: [log in to unmask]