From:
"David D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 12:59:45 EDT

Carol,

I strongly disagree regarding vinegar and alcohol inquiries.  If we can't state
on this list that we checked the vinegar or alcohols out, then those of us that
DO react to them would be injured.  Some of us will still *have* to check such
things out eventually.  Personally, I wish that the degree of thoroughness
(identification of verfied items) could be disclosed along with the information.

ALCOHOLS have made me sick... and DH doesn't break out unless one eats gluten.
IOW, you can't call DH "some other allergic" reaction.

Case in point:  Un-Petroleum Lip Balm, vanilla flavored.  I bought it mid
December, 1995 but noticed I was getting into gluten (DH breaking out, along
with GI symptoms) from about that time through early Feb. of 1996.  I checked
out everything in my diet until there was nothing left to check... then thought
of the lip balm.  I called the mfg.  asked about the vanilla flavoring (the only
suspect ingredient).  She had to call thier supplier and get back with me.
Result:  They DID use alcohol in the natural vanilla flavoring, and the company
*checked* the alcohol for grain protiens:  it contained 3% wheat protiens.  Of
course, this is diluted in the product, which is futher diluted because it is
only worn on the lips.  However, when I quit using it after that, the rashes
went away, as well as the other symptoms.

SO, the moral of the story is: SOME alcohols used in natural flavorings (and
thus, probably other things) DO contain gluten!!!   Since we don't know/can't
control the processing of all the alcohols manufactured and used, we can't be
sure they are not a potential source of gluten contamination.  Hence, *I* will
require that verification before *I* eat anything containing vinegars or
alcohols.

Another current investigation:  I am suspecting a product (two products) that
contain *pectin* right now.  One is a yogurt made by Horizon Dairy of Boulder,
CO.  They gave me the name of the company they get thier pectin from, whom I
then called.   This Wisconsin company makes a *rapid set pectin* product for use
in low fat dairy products.  When asked about the processing of the pectin, he
told me an alcohol was used in the process of extraction of pectin from apples.
This is done in France, and they can't seem to get info. on the alcohols used
from France.  (I called Jim ... the R&D manager at 1-800-342-5724).  I have
waited one month for a reply now, calling twice, and yet he apparently is either
too busy, hasn't heard from them yet, or its bad news, because no word yet.  IN
any case, *pectin is* a soluble fiber that *absorbs* by its very nature, and
therefore, I would find it odd that residue from the extraction process has not
been somewhat absorbed into the product.  First I would hope to know the nature
of the alcohol used, then the possible absorbed amount.  If I can't find that
out, I will not eat it, as I have had a questionable response (physically) to
it.

BTW, I've had a similar questionable (physical) response to Alta Dena's low fat
yogurt which also has pectin, but haven't had time to call Alta Dena yet to find
out where they get thier pectin from.  Right now, I'm trying Old Home *full fat*
yogurt (so needs no pectin).  So far, so good.   AGAIN, not all pectins would be
a problem, as I personally use Pamona's (or is it Ramona's) to make my own jams
without any problem whatsoever.  Meanwhile, it appears possible for a
commercially available pectin used in the dairy industry to contain alcohol that
*may* have grain contamination.  Until that is ruled out, I won't feel safe
eating it.

BTW, Redwood Hill Farms (Sonoma, CA) GOAT yogurt (again, full fat so needs no
pectin) and cheeses are completely safe and I eat them regularly with no
problems!   This would also be a great alternative for those who are allergic to
COW dairy proteins.  Yogurt works well as a base for various salad dressings and
sauces, and is low lactose (the lactose is digested by the live bacteria) so
should be tolerable by those with lactose intolerances.  If anyone has any more
complete dairy information, I'd really appreciate it!  Especially yogurts, sour
creams, and cheeses, and ice creams.

Also, I'm looking for info. on Taster's Choice (Nestle Co.)  freeze dried
instant coffee,
the vinegar in Best Foods/Hellman's Mayonaise,
the Vinegar in French's Dijon mustard,
the "natural vanilla" in Haagen Dazs ice cream, and
the "natural vanilla flavor" in Breyer's.
(As you can tell from past personal experience, I am skeptical of natural
vanilla flavor!)  I'd appreciate if anyone knows anything on these.

OH, and one more white vinegar that should be safe is Indian Summer brand...
according to Joe at California Natural Products (the mfg.) 209-858-2525.  So,
for those who do home cleaning or canning (picklies, relish...) seems both Heinz
(relying on earlier post) and Indian Summer should be okay.

Joanne