Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:40:46 -0400

All the talk the last few weeks reminded me that I haven't seen my medic
alert bracelet for peniciilin allergy since I was about 10 (21 years ago) I
am happy to report that I have not been in a situation where I could not give
out my medical restrictions. Not to jinx myself, but I started weighing the
hassle of wearing a necklace every day just in case I get knocked unconscious
, against the possibility if that ever were to happen and I was administered
Penicllin, I would probably die. After a recent death of my cousins friend
(age 20) due to eating a cookie that unknowingly to the girl-contained peanut
in it-where she went into shock, then into a coma and tragically died a few
days later- I decided to reconsider. Since I will go to the hassle for the
Penicillin allergy, I figured why not add the gluten thing along with it.
I inquired to I.D. Services, PO Box 1240- Mankato, MN 56002 at :
and asked them for a recommendation of what to write and they have replied as
follows:

Thank you for your interest in ID Services.  The number of spaces (16)  is
per line. and you can have up to 5 lines. The above information could be put
on a necklace as follows...
Line 1   ALLERGIES: PCN,
Line 2   SULFA DRUGS.
Line 3   CELIAC DISEASE
Line 4   GLUTEN INTOLERANT
The cost of the necklace is $5.50

I'm curious if anyone has gone ahead and ordered something similar and what
wording they have used as I can't seem to locate the digests from the past
discussions. Also, if one has a sensitivity to shellfish (and I guess that
would mean iodine and possibly what they inject for an emergency like MRI or
CAT scan- what would one put?
Please send a PRIVATE e-mail reply to [log in to unmask]
Thanks, Leslie-NYC