From:
"Marne L. Platt, VMD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 16:07:43 -0500

Hi everyone! Many, many thanks to those who wrote with suggestions for this
novice bread baker. Here's a summary, for you other newbies out there:

-Use less yeast-apparently the SafInstant brand that I bought is stronger
 than regular yeast, so you use 1 1/8 T of it for every 2 1/2T of the
 regular stuff.
-ad salt, which retards rising
-use less water
-use shorter rise times (watch the dough if you have to)-people recommended
 anywhere from 12 to 25 min, or just watch and put it in the oven when it
 rises as high as you want it to.
-rise in a cooler place (apparently temps over 80 degrees Farenheit will
 speed rising)
-split the batter, and use several loaf pans, each with less batter (could
 we actually get *more* for our food dollar here?? <g>
-finally, someone pointed out that Vitamin C added to batters makes the
 yeast rise faster

Thanks again to all you experienced bakers! -Marne in NJ

The impossible is merely that which has not yet been accomplished!