NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tammy Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 22:42:25 -0500
>Ahh, here we are getting somewhere. What is the harm in IGF-I in dairies?
>How much of it are we getting? Is it naturally present there or added
>by producers? If naturally present then why are we worried about
>eating dairies and not worried about meat and all other animal products
>that contains naturally present hormones? Are dairies specifically
>rich in this one hormone and it's very dangerous? If it's not naturally
>present then will eating organic dairies eliminate the problem?

Some of us are more worried about the proteins found in dairy, so being
organic would not make a difference.  There are studies in Norway/England
indicating that the protein casein (found in cow and goat milk) can cause a
release of opiode peptides to the brains of autistic or schizophrenic
people.  My daughter has improved greatly in language, potty trained,
socialization and pretend play/ imagination since removing casein and gluten.

I know of no study indicating whether protein digestive enzymes would
eliminate the problem. We use digestive enzymes, but, because my daughter is
not sophisticated enough in language to tell me any subtle differences, I do
not chance assuming the enzymes will ameliorate the problem.  I do have a
friend (not diagnosed anything) who has the symptoms of autism and had a
typical childhood.  She tells me that, while protein digestive enzymes and
B6 help speed up the detoxification process, they do not prevent reactions
in her.

>What about my little list of questions? Answers to them would really
>clear things up in my mind.

Some of them were beyond my scope...I'm just a mom!!!  :-)

Tammy G.

"A parent's love perceives no limitations."