From:
James W Dees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 22:24:24 EST

This is in response to a recent discussion on how many carbohydrate foods
should be in the diet.  As I understand it, you can tolerate a much
higher proportion of your diet in complex carbohydrates than in fats or
proteins.  It is very important that the overwhelming proportion of your
carbohydrates be complex rather than simple sugars.  I find the following
foods very useful:
        Sweet potatoes:   Oil the skins before microwaving them.  The
skins will then peel off fairly easily.  Add a little butter.
        Irish potatoes:  I scrub them with an abrasive dish cloth under
running water rather than peeling them.  I then microwave them, add a
little butter and eat the peelings as well as the starch.
        Raw vegetables such as carrots and squash are surprisingly good
and satisfying.
        Rice:  I usually use brown rice, and usually not as simply boiled
rice.  When I make bread, it usually includes some rice flour.   I  grind
my own flour ingredients with a Braun coffee bean mill.  It works very
well and is much cheaper than grain mills.
        Rice porridge (I grind the brown  rice in a coffee mill, mix it
with two parts water to one part rice flour, heat it in a microwave,
then add a small quantity of butter and honey.
        Grits:  I prefer the yellow grits, i.e., grits made from yellow
corn, but you may prefer the white kind.  They are much easier to find
also.  For you folks in snow country, I know that's a foreign dish so let
me give you a couple of suggestions for preparation.  Follow the
instructions on the box for the amount of grits you want, then add,
instead of the salt in the instructions, an amount of seasoning salt or
lemon pepper in an amount half again as much as the instructions for
salt.  You might then also add some cheddar cheese, or perhaps a small
amount of burgundy wine.  With experience, you'll learn to vary these
combinations to produce a variety of tastes.
        These are just a few suggestions.  I hope you find them useful.