Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 18:16:27 +0000

Dr. Paul Donahue/ To Your Good Health
Eugene Register Guard Newspsper, Oct 28th, 1996
"Celiac disease patients must avoid grain protein"

Q: Dear Dr. Donahue: A family member has been diagnosed with celiac
disease. Could you please enlighten us as to cause, effects, and
treatments? Are you aware of groups that deal with the problem?- M. S.

A: Celiac disease is intolerance of gluten, a grain protein found
especially in wheat, rye and barley.
  Gluten acts like a poison to some people, resulting in diarrhea and
weight loss. In fact, the massive absorption failure produces a
veritable almanac of related symptoms, various anemias and mineral and
vitamin deficiencies.
  Causes? I might suggest, as some do, a genetic factor. Perhaps there's
a lack of digestive enzymes. Or-a favorite theory of late- a disturbed
immune system. But let's be honest; we just don't have the foggiest
notion.
  "Sprue" is another name for celiac disease.
  Treatment is simplicity itself: avoidance of foods containing gluten.
That's not as simple as it sounds, though. Gluten, you soon find, is
just about everywhere, including prepared foods.
  You need to consider substitutes. Rice and corn are permitted grains.
And some patients can tolerate oats- a new finding in the gluten story.
Oats previously were barred.
  Since you ask, your relative might find books written by Marion Woods
helpful. There are two I know of: "Gourmet Foods on a wheat-free diet"
and "Easy Rice Flour Recipies." Charles C. Thomas is the publisher.
  You can call the Celiac Sprue Association in Nebraska at
(402-558-0600).

****Dr. Donahue welcomes reader mail but is unable to answer individual
letters. You may write him @ P.O. Box 5539, Riverton, NJ, 08077-5539****
(North America Syndicate Inc.)