From:
Muriel Kranowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:33:08 EDT

Thank you to all the wonderful people who wrote to me about my question,
what's the best way to store GF bread.  The overwhelming consensus was
to let it cool, slice it, and freeze it, either a couple of slices (what
you'd use at one time) together or in a loaf and you'd have to pry the
slices apart.  Only one person puts her bread into Tupperware and stores
in the refrigerator.  Some people wrap very meticulously before freezing;
the most careful person wraps the bread in waxed paper, then tin foil,
then in a large heavy-duty freezer bag.

On removing the bread from the freezer, most people zap their slices in
the microwave oven for 10 or so seconds, and some then toast it-- a few
toast it frozen.  One person warned me not to take more out of the freezer
than I plan to use right away, because the bread goes moldy much faster
after freezing and thawing.

Several people told me I should be baking my own bread, which I hope to
do after getting this initial batch from the bakery.  I am hoping they
can establish a standard for me that I can compare my own product against,
because I'm not one to endlessly experiment in hopes of getting it right
the next time.  I'd like to know what's possible, get as close to that as
I can, and stick with one recipe and one technique from then on.

I was also asked by some local and nearly-local people which bakery this
is.  It's Our Daily Bread in Blacksburg, and I'll let you-all know in a
few days if I have any reaction due to possible cross-contamination --
actually, that's not the way it will be.  I don't have instant unmistakeable
reactions, since I'm DH and not CS.  I will let you know if I show symptoms
in a few days but will be wondering, was it the bread or any of the other
vaguely suspicious things that I eat when not at home.

Again, my thanks to all who wrote.  Robert, I'm still interested in your
recipe! (since I too have a heavy-duty mixer)

      Gratefully,
      Muriel Kranowski
      Blacksburg, VA