From:
David Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:34:44 -0500

To the Gluten-Free listserv members:

Nina just wrote:

        Is there a list anywhere of major fast food resaturants and which
items on their menus are GF?

My response:

Jax Lowell Peters book, AGAINST THE GRAIN, states that Taco Bell Tostadas
are GF.  I just called Taco Bell at 1-800-TAC-OBEL for verification and,
although I do have much confidence in the employee with whom I spoke, it
appears that their Tostadas may be GF.  Unfortunately, they do not have a
gluten-free list, nor do they make their ingredient list available to
consumers.  Additionally, the consumer representative did not know what
gluten is.  She did say that oats were present in many of the spices
(pertaining to their meat I believe), and gave me the "but it is very far
down on the list" response.  I am now less confident in their tostadas than
I was before, and am frustrated by the company's lack of awareness to this
situation.

I was going to send this to Nina, but, because of the poor help I received
over the phone, I have decided to send this to the entire list.  When I
receive it back, I will forward it to Taco Bell.  Maybe that will make
someone their wake up.

Dave Nelson
New Orleans