From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 10:49:19 PDT

Personally, I think Karen makes some good points and I think the Canadian
Celiac Association has always done a good job in keeping things in balance.

My one question has to do with malt vinegar.  I don't know how malt vinegar
is prepared, but have assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it probably is not a
distilled product because of the color and strong flavor. Is there no
extract of barley malt incorporated into malt vinegar?  If any barley malt
is included for flavor, then there may be some harmful barley hordein
peptides in the vinegar.  These would not distill over into the vinegar,
however, so it comes down to whether or not undistilled material is included
in a barley malt vinegar. Perhaps someone reading the list is knowledgeable
about the process used for making malt vinegar.  I don't think there should
be any problem related to celiac disease with white vinegars made from
distilled alcohol because the harmful peptides are not volatile and would
not distill over into the alcohol.

Don Kasarda, Albany, CA