From:
Shashi K Pathak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 23:27:24 -0400

Hi guys,

Please excuse my inability to thank all of you personally (I
accidentally deleted your addresses while trying to send this) and for
making this a dual-purpose note.  It is both a thank you to those of you
who so kindly responded to my question and a summary for the list so that
others may benefit as well.

Thanks all for your responses to my inquiry about tetracycline and lactose
intolerance.  I saw a doctor today (substituting for my regular physician
who is on vacation), he was skeptical about my reaction to the lactose in
the tetracycline -- said the amount in a capsule is too miniscule to provoke
a reaction.  He thought it more likely that I was reacting to the
tetracycline itself, which he says induces nausea in some people.  He didn't
understand why my doctor prescribed it in the first place so we are going to
try a topical treatment for a few weeks and if that doesn't work, back to
the tetra.  At which point, he will prescribe an alternative lactose-free
brand.

Sherill, I asked him about DH (although from what I have read on the list, I
don't think it applies to me).  I was surprised and discouraged to discover
that he didn't know what it is (though he said he could guess from the name)
and didn't seem at all impressed by the CD connection.  He told ME to do
more research!  What's the point of going to a doctor!?

Marge and Bill, thanks for the suggestion to look for a compounding
pharmacist who can prepare my prescription with fillers that I can tolerate.
It appears not to be necessary at the moment, but I will certainly keep it
in mind for future reference (bearing in mind that my doctor would have to
note on the prescription that its for a gf, compounding prescription).
Marge also suggested that I look for a liquid form of tetracycline.

Vance, thanks so much for the pharmacist info number (800-522-5225) to check
for gluten in medicine.  It will be prominently displayed in my phone book
and in my medical file!

Michael, thank you for your suggestion to try a different brand of lactose
pill.  Twelve brands  on the market!  I've only seen one (lactaid), do you
know the names and manufacturers of some of the others.  Definitely worth a
try.  I'll keep your tips in mind ("Break the Lactaid opill ver the food or
in this case take it at the sametime as the pill.  Some people are so
sensitive to milk that when the Lactaid goes down early, it is unable to
work on the milk sugar.)

Again, thanks so much to all of you.  What a godsend this list-serv is, as
are all of you!

Shashi