From:
Amy Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:15:42 -0700

Hello All,

In November of 1995, I applied to the Peace Corps. This was
just a couple months after having been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I
was a little worried at first that my diet might pose a problem, but after
my interview in January, my worries were quieted. I was to go to Mali,
where the main staple was millet.  Since I wanted to keep my options open,
I finished my medical and dental in March, hoping that I'd know for sure
if I had been accepted by April, so that I could have grad school as my
plan B if for some unforseen reason the Peace Corps didn't work out.

April came and went, and still no word from the Peace Corps, except for an
assurance that I would go if I attained medical clearance. One by one, I
turned down interviews, schools, and opportunities, holding out for the
Peace Corps.

In June, I was notified that I had been medically and dentally cleared.
More words from the Peace Corps came to me, assuring me that I would be
on my way to Mali in August of 1996, since I had made it that far. I
relied upon it.

Last week, I still hadn't received my invitation (the final step) to the
assignment, and I called their office, only to discover that NOW the
people in Mali were going over whether they could accept me because of
Celiac Disease. Mali was to get back to the placement office, and
therefore I had no choice but to wait, not so patiently.

Today was the closing date of my assignment. I called again, only to
discover that the doctors in Mali had finally contacted the Peace Corps
headquarters this morning---rejecting me because of CD. I
couldn't believe it. So here I am, writing to the list, wondering if
there have been any survivors of the Peace Corps out there, especially in
Mali. My placement officer is appealing on my behalf, and I'll know if
I'm accepted next week (less than a month before the anticipated date of
departure!).

If you've read this whole thing, thanks. I don't know who else to vent my
frustration to. I feel rather lost at this moment, my future being
entirely too nebulous for my liking (it gives me gluten attack symptoms
just thinking about this whole mess!)..

 --Amy Lester