Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 19:58:46 EST

I wrote the PowerBar manufacturers thinking only of myself on a long
distance bike ride, but I think their product is something some of us
might consider using for other purposes (gaining weight?).  Their bars are
not GF, but they will be introducing a new product that will be.  I am
enclosing their response to my e-mail|||  I can't use their new product
because of my corn allergy, but maybe some of you might be able to||

Subject: Gluten in PowerBars

Dear Thea,

Thank you very much for your email.

It's so strange that you wrote us when you did.  I have worked for Powerfood
for a few years now, spending time both on and off the phones.   Until this
past week I had never received correspondence from customers who cannot eat
foods containing gluten.  As of today you are the third person this week who
has contacted our department making such a request.

As you've obviously discovered, PowerBars do contain trace amounts of gluten
since oat bran and rice flour are the key ingredients which comprise the
complex carbohydrates content.  However, I can tell you about a new product
we're launching in only a couple of weeks.  PowerGel will be on the shelves
of sporting good stores as early as July 22 and as I understand it does not
contain any gluten.  PowerGel is 80% complex carbohydrates in the form of
maltodextrin (corn starch) and therefore contains no gluten.  You'll probably
know better than I do.  Does what I've said ring true with you?  If you'll
email me your physical address I'll send you some more detailed information
about PowerGel as soon as it's available. Also, I can put you in touch with
someone on our nutrition staff if you're interested.

DO LET ME KNOW IF WE CAN HELP WITH ANY IMMEDIATE QUESTIONS.

Sincerely,
Wendy Reeves-Hampton
www.powerbar.com