From:
Shashi K Pathak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 20:55:55 -0400

>what do you do when you have those gluten
>reactions--anything I could take to offset them?

Hi Mildred (copy to list),

My acupuncturist prescribed Livotrit Plus, an ayurvedic botanical
supplement, made by Biotics Research Corp., Houston, TX  77236.
While she never made any claims (nor do I) that it will relieve GF
symptoms, my experience with it is excellent for relatively fast relief
(I usually feel normal or almost normal within a few hours of taking
1 tablet).  I have never bothered to check if it is gf because it works
so well for me (although I did show the ingredients to my doctor who
didn't have the foggiest idea what they are).  The ingredients are:

Bhringraj (Eclipta alba), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Kalmegh
(Andographis paniculata), Purnava (Boerhaavia diffusa), Katuki
(Picorrhiza Kurrua), Daru Haridra (Berberis aristata), Milk Thistle
(Silymarin), and Saccharum officinarium.

I think the first part is in either Hindi or Sanskrit and the second
part (in parentheses) is the botanical name.  Any botanists out there?

The other thing that I take for real emergencies only (because it
tastes so horrible) is Colon Plus, also by Biotics.  On the label it
says, "... may help furnish a smoothage effect and provide bulk which
promotes natural elimination".  It is a powder which is meant to be
mixed with cold water or juice.  The ingredients are:

Psyllium seed powder, kelgin, calcium ascorbate, flax seed, apple
pectin, mannitol, celery, peppermint leaves, aloe vera powder,
lactobacillus acidophilus, bromelain, anise, and prune powder.

I am not promoting either product, just telling you what I turn to
for relief (antiacids are useless for me).  I would be really interested
in knowing if anyone else has tried them and how they feel about them.
Also, I would be glad to know what any botanist, herbalist, or
generally knowledgeable person thinks about this.

Good luck to you in your search!

Shashi