From:
RICHARD LOCKLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 17:26:50 +1100

>It is very true that Celiac will cause a loss of B-12 in the system, due to
>the fact of malopsorption of that particular vitamin. I was told by my family
>doctor that I would need to inject myself with a B-12 shot once each month.
>This is for the rest of my life. Taking the vitamin in capsule does not help.
>The only way to properly get B-12 into your system is through injection under
>the skin. It is almost painless and doesn't require a great deal of expertise
>to have this done by a family member or by self injection.

Jim,

I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one to respond to your posting because
what I read worries me.

I am not worried about my health because I am a strong believer in the
statement that 'If you do not ingest gluten you are not suffering from
Celiac Disease'. If your gut is healed then you are able to absorb
nutrients, if it is not healed, because you are still taking in gluten, then
you are going to have to try desperate moves like injections.

I hope that you are not relying purely on the advice of your doctor and you
have sought a second, or third opinion, as you know,  Celiacs often have to
educate the doctors as to their condition and most have had to see a
progression of medical people before they get the correct diagnosis.

Because I am confident that my gut is working correctly, (I soon know when
it isn't), I do not take any vitamins at all and rely on a balanced diet to
do the rest. Eschew manufactured foods and rely on the natural product.

Obviously not medical advice, just accumulated experience of having had
Coeliac Disease for 55 years.

Best wishes,

Richard Lockley
Home phone + 61 3 9882 4498.  3/757 Burwood Rd East Hawthorn 3123 Australia
Work phone + 61 3 9905 5018
Work Email: [log in to unmask]