From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 07:46:45 -0600

Sorry, he is right.  I have only been diagnosed 2 yrs along with my son and
yes the receipts do pile up.  We have tried the taxes route and got one year
(1994) claiming thru the disabilty claim.  It was reviewed for 1995 and
rejected.  I asked what do we do, since it's a diet and not medication and
we're being penalized basically for not needing medication.  The answer was
to have a letter from the doctor diagnosing celiac disease and the treatment
being a GF diet.  I could then save all my receipts from specialty items and
claim them on the medical line, where you have to reduce it by a % of your
income.  I also asked about things that could be bought in the regular
store, ie.  I used to buy generic kidney beans for chili now I have to buy
certain brands that are more expensive. How do I go about claiming things
like this, that I have no choice in buying and the answer was, sorry no
claim.  Guess it all boils down to how many receipts will add up to enough
to claim.  If you have children, look into the Handicapped childrens
Society, thru the government in your area.  I have been able to claim
approximately $40.00/mth thru them since my son needs the diet as well.  It
also requires receipts, you pay for the items, then claim with receipts
once/mth or every two months.  They go on the assumption that a parent is
responsible for the first $x of a childs nutritional needs and will help
with the extras required.  Every little bit helps.  Any more info on these
areas you can e-mail me personally and I will help where I can.  I am not a
tax person, just someone who tries to use the system to the best of my
ability by asking lots, lots and lots of questions.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada