From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 1995 18:50:39 EST

Pamela,
I have found eating out to be risky at best and often carry lunch
and/or a snack with me when am out for the day.  I would recommend
staying away from anything that isn't "pure" (by "pure" I am referring
to foods that are unprocessed such as a plain baked potato, grilled
chicken breast -- if it does not contain HVP, apple sauce, etc.) when
grabbing a quick or emergency bite out.  I find a good snack (for me)
is to carry a small container of peanut butter, some mini rice cakes,
an individual serving size container of apple sauce, and some baked
tortilla chips.  I have a couple of nice nylon "lunch bags" -- one
even has a pocket for an ice pack so I can take along food that should
be kept cool.  These bags are convenient to carry because they have
shoulder straps.  When I just want to have a little something (i.e.
rice cakes or tortilla chips) "just in case," I throw a zip-lock
baggie into my oversized everyday handbag.  Frankly, I don't know
which is worse:  actually ingesting gluten accidently or the constant
fear of ingesting gluten accidently when eating out.  You simply have
to weigh the risks for yourself.  I do eat out occasionally at
restaurants that I am familiar with and/or if we are travelling but
it's not so much for the food as for the convenience and the company.
Good luck!
Jane