From:
Lisa McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 1996 12:01:01 -0800

Hello.

On the subject of teeth, I discussed this with my dentist at my last
visit.  He said you would be able to see the striations in the tooth if
a person was deprived of calcium.  It seems to me this would be more
true if a person was totally deprived of calcium.  Isn't it possible to
have a deficiency of calcium and not have the obvious visual sign?  For
example, if a child went for a month or two absorbing no calcium (I
believe there would be a darker line in the tooth) and then went a
month or two absorbing calcium (a lighter line in the tooth).  What if
the child had a steady, constant deficiency of calcium?  Perhaps the
tooth would look normal but isn't as strong and hard as someone who
absorbs sufficient amounts of calcium all the time.

Also he said once the tooth is formed, it does not lose calcium from
the tooth as bones do.  Just wondering about this.

Lisa