From:
Annmaureen Surra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 12:22:57 -0500

M>About the great Coke contraversy...it is in their own interest to deny
M>a gluten content.  If you are suspicious, talk to your dietician about
M>setting up an elimination diet followed by a gradual re-introduction.
M>If the product bothers you, it has gluten...En Gluten Et Veritas.

M>Gary Roberts

Please don't be so general. You should not eat foods that bother you. If
said foods do not contain gluten, other Celiacs who have their own
food anamolies, can eat them. I am lactose-intolerant. I can't drink
milk.  I can consume MSG!

If the foods contain GLUTEN, neither you, or any other Celiac, should
ingest them! The occult symptomology (peripheral neuropathy, lupus,
etc.) is just as fearful as the overt "belly ache". Your "elimination"
diet is rather fearsome, to me.

We are going to have to be more vigilant in having vendors list
ingredients, especially "mystery" ingredients.

I have never purchased any specialties from the mail-order houses. I
cook from scratch and avoid most baked breads and pastries. I use corn
starch, arrowroot, tapioca. One cannot count on mail-order specialties
when eating in restaurants. I avoid any mystery combinations when
eating out and have often questioned the personnel.

I guess we all find our own way. Good luck! AMS