From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 17:33:38 -0700

Here's a definition of KOJI, from Aveline Kushi's <Macrobiotic Cooking>,
which, by the way, is one of her terrific guides to making great vegetable
and rice dishes. As a layperson, I recommend her recipe for soft brown rice
for celiacs who are not feeling very well, for whatever reason. The formula
is 4 cups of water to 1 cup of short grain rice. Cooking it overnight in a
crockpot has worked well for me. (I've added seaweed to the pot, or added a
pickled plum condiment to my bowl, for extra flavor.)

KOJI--A grain inoculated with bacteria and used in making fermented foods
such as miso, tamari soy sauce, amasake, natto, and sake.

Please notice that not all koji is necessarily made from rice, but it seems
that Maria-Louisa's is a rice product.

Feel free to write with any requests for Japanese cooking definitions, and
I'll see what Kushi's glossaries tell us.

Happy eating,
Mary Courtney
Los Angeles