From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 19:34:32 -0400

At 04:40 PM 9/26/95 -0500, T RYAN <[log in to unmask]> asked:

> What is Vega testing?

Here's an article from another group that was written in reply to something
I posted to that group:

Date:    Wed, 6 Sep 1995 17:00:01 -0400
Sender:  Yeast-Related Medical Discussion List
From:    pat ogrady <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Vega Testing

>Any information on vega testing (electric test for allergies which includes
>candida) would be appreciated.

 Here's my experience with vega testing.

 I've been tested at a md's office and at a naturopath - chiropractor.
 The testing procedure was similar. You remove all metal objects
 (eg coins, watch) before the test. You hold a metal cylinder
 connected to the machine in your dominant hand. The operator places a
 probe on an acupuncture point on the opposite hand or foot
 completing the circuit and takes a reading from a
 meter on the vega machine. At the beginning of the test they calibrate
 the  meter and also during the test when they  change acupuncture
 points. There is a large metal block with a hole in it as part of the
 electrical circuit. To test a substance a vial containing a
 pure form of the substance is placed in the hole and the operator
 places the probe on the acupuncture point. The machine gives off a
 squeal when contact is made and a reading is taken from the meter.
 They will also test substances that you bring in by placing them on
 top of the metal block and taking a reading. The reading is given as
 a number, 0 - no reaction, 10 mild, 20 moderate, 30 and above avoid.

 The naturopath - chiropractor was trained as an electrical engineer
 and I asked him how the test works. As I understand it, if there is
 no reaction a resonant circuit is formed and you get a maximum
 reading. If there is a reaction, the strength of the circuit is reduced
 and the meter measures the reduction in strength. The test was
 developed in Germany and is used in Europe.

 When I first took the test I was very leery of how this could work.
 The results surprised me though. Before taking the test, I had tried
 a bit of a rotation - elimination diet. I would not eat a food for 4
 days, then try it and see if I noticed a reaction. The vega test
 showed a response to many of the foods I suspected. During the test
 I did not know which substances were being tested, so I could not
 bias the results. In this forum and others I have heard of other
 tests such as kinesiology ( measure reaction by changes in strength),
 some tests done by acupuncturists, which also measure a reaction
 by holding the substance close to the body, but not ingesting it.

 After removing these foods from my diet, my problems
 (fatigue, bloating, irritable bowel) improved a great deal.
 My allergies to wheat, milk, corn, tomatoes also meant almost all
 prepared foods were dropped as well. This also may have been of benefit.