From:
Annmaureen Surra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 19:42:29 -0500

M>The celiac screen looks like he's negative for CD, but he seems to have a
M>gluten intolerance, as dietary elimination has solved incontinence problems
M>and has cleared his mind enough to make daily life much easier.  He has
M>dementia, maybe alzheimers.
M>
M>Susan Owens

Susan:;
This has nothing to do with Geriatrics. I had almost walled off the
memory. However, with our trial of connections to CD, my story might be
of interest.

Because of a 'placenta previa' misadventure, my fifth son was almost
exsanguinated. After birth, he was diagnosed as lacking melanin and
having Pernicious Anemia(which was generally considered an old folks'
condition). Scotty resembled Casper the Ghost or a baby raccoon.Paper
white skin, purple rings about the eyes. He had peripheral neuropathy so
bad that he had to be cushioned in his crib without one bone touching
another. He could only ingest one-half teaspoon of food every fifteen
minutes.

Our pediatrician told me that I would have to be "realistic' about my
baby's eminent demise. I was "realistic". I just did not want to have
him die hungry!

The baby received massive doses of B12. He suffered a concussion his
first year, because his bones were so soft. Gradually, he began to eat
and progressed with motor skills,apparently in constant pain. By age
three, he developed melanin. Suddenly, his blood picture changed. No sign
could be found of the anemia. One pediatrician labelled him as a
"pre-leukemic".

He was as normal as anyone by age four. He's five feet nine and
one-half, which makes him the real "little brother " in our family. His
four brothers range from 6feet one to six feet four. He is now age 37,
has two half-grown kids and is one of the happy people of the world. His
one other anomaly was that he developed upper body strength that was
considered unusual. He could toss some furniture around the house, that
most other little kids could not pick up. Thank goodness, he was
generally good-natured.

Noone ever knew just what had ailed him,but, he does not have CD, or any
other condition at present. I don't think this has much relevance. Might
be interesting in our list of "connections". My blood type is
O-positive. His is B-positive.AMS