From:
Nathan D Justus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 12:37:53 EDT

>As I have been reading the postings about this topic one thought keeps
>returning over and over again in my mind:  How is it possible to subsist
>almost entirely off of foods that you make from stratch?  As a senior in

Well, I think in some ways, it is some of the choices that you make in
terms of what you eat.  Things like Yogurt are fairly safe (I think),
and that's a good breakfast food, as is things like scrambled eggs
and such.  Lunch and dinner are more difficult - but fresh fruit,
veg, plain cooked meats are also options.  It doesn't have to be
very complicated.

>Packing your lunch is not an option when you're eating with clients.  For

That's true.  That's when you have an unfortunately large amount of
homework to do with area restaurants, finding out what you can and cannot
eat.  (For example, salads are probably okay as long as they're all veg
and have no croutons).  And I think that some folk are genuinely more
sensitive than others.  My wife happens to be someone who is _very_
sensitive.  So we simply don't eat out much.  And we have found a
restaurant that we can eat at, when we wish to eat out.  [It's
just that we both feel that the cost is prohibitive].

Being in college is very difficult, since no place a college student lives
usually has a good cooking setup.  Also, quite frankly, it is hard for
students to afford things like bread machines for baking gluten free loaves
in a short period of time.

But you may find that you _can_ make some limited use.  For example, on the
Sunday morning, cook a week's worth of dinners and freeze them, if you're
lucky enough to have a freezer.

My sympathies go with you - I went to night school for nine years while
working full time.  Time constraints are very real, and very great.

nathan