From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 1995 07:43:52 -0600

Do you recall a message about a week ago in which someone mentioned
she had a reaction to eating a corn tortilla in Cincinnati, I believe?
Well, I use corn tortillas a lot, but I had never run into any with
gluten in them.  The basic corn tortilla recipe is so simple -- masa,
water and lime -- that no one has probably bothered to mess with it...
until yesterday.  The store was out of the brand I usually buy (Azteca)
but they had stocked some new brand.  I almost bought them, but the
cautious part of me decided to check the label anyway. Lo and behold,
these corn tortillas have oats in them.

Is nothing sacred anymore?  Why do manufacturers take it upon
themselves to cram as much stuff as they can into their recipes?

BJ