From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 1995 10:38:43 EDT

Today, Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Eden Foods 1-800-838-2326. .... according to Eden rep
>Cindy Eicholtz. ... wants to warn the most cautious of
>celiacs that their brown rice crackers, chips and Nori
>crackers are made in the same facility as wheat crackers.

I spoke with Cindy several months ago, since Brown Rice Chips were my celiac
son's absolute favorite snack (next to french fries).  Eden's problem is that
they import these products from Japan and they were having a very difficult
time getting their vendor to supply them with complete information about the
plant procedures.  The thing that concerned me that most was that the rice
chips are fried on the same equipment as wheat chips, and Cindy could not
verify that the oil was changed in between rice and wheat production.  I
reluctantly told a very disappointed child that it would be best if he no
longer ate the rice chips.  We found other rice chips which were baked instead
of fried...probably better in any event since they are lower in fat.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles